Some of our Kitchen Table Friends we have known for years, others we just met. Barbara Bonisolli, has been a food photographer for more than 20 years, she did the photography for many cookbooks and has her own television show about her edible garden. She lives with her family in the countryside, just outside of Munich, and owns a vegetable garden to be envious of. We met at a party, and after some drinks in a Berlin Biergarten I knew one thing for sure: with Barbara, you can have long, long conversations about food and never get bored. Her own cookbook is beautiful, full of great recipes for each season, from salads to desserts and from pastas to this great Herb Pancakes With Avocado & Rocket. A recipe she wanted us to share with you. Danke schön, liebe Barbara!
Lunch, serves 4
Action Time approx 20 minutes
For the pancakes
8.8 oz/250 g plain flour
a pinch of salt
19.5 oz/550 ml milk
2.5 oz/75 ml sparkling water
1 large handful of mixed herbs (parsley, lemon balm, chervil, chive, tarragon, cilantro)
unsalted butter for baking
For the filling
2 ripe avocados
juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
freshly ground salt & black pepper
1 bunch of rucola
10.5 oz /300 g sour cream
3.5 oz/100 g crème fraiche
cress to garnish
1. In a bowl, mix flour and salt and add the eggs one by one. Add the milk, stir well with a whisk until smooth. Add the water and stir again.
2. Wash the herbs, dry and chop finely. Add to the batter and stir.
3. Halve the avocados, remove the stone and cube the avocado. Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil, and some salt and pepper.
4. Wash the rucola, dry and chop roughly. In a bowl, mix the sour cream and crème fraiche, season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Heat some butter in a frying pan. Bake about 8 thin pancakes one by one, over low to medium heat and with the lid on. Keep warm under foil until all batter is used. Spread the cream over the pancakes, top with rucola and avocado. Fold the pancakes and garnish with the cress.
PHOTOS © Barbara Bonisolli, PORTRAIT © Markus Rasp