If you like to spice things up, this is your soup! This easy version of the classic Chinese dish is made with tofu, miso, mushrooms, and one of my favorite vegetables: pointed cabbage. There is not much more to tell about this soup, except that it’s very comforting. This recipe is a golden oldie of mine. It was featured in the culinary magazine ELLE Eten (ELLE Food) last year.
1/2 pointed cabbage (about 300 g/ 10.5 oz)
2 tbsp sunflower oil
250 g / 9 oz shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger root
1-2 fresh red chilies, finely chopped
1.5 liter/ 6 cups low-sodium hot vegetable broth
4 tbsp rice vinegar, plus extra
3 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra
1 tbsp sesame oil, plus extra
1 tbsp (genmai) miso paste
250 g/ 9 oz firm natural tofu, in small cubes
optional: some nameko mushrooms (butterscotch mushrooms)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the garnish:
2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
a handful of cilantro leaves
optional: sliced red chili
- Cut off the hard core of the pointed cabbage. Slice the vegetable into thin stripes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the shiitake mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chilies and cook briefly. Add the broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sliced cabbage. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for several minutes until the cabbage is soft.
- In a small bowl, mix the miso paste with several spoons of the broth and beat until smooth. Add the mixture together with the tofu and, if using, the nameko mushrooms, to the soup. Heat for several minutes more, but do not let the soup boil.
- Take the pan of the heat, let sit for 2-3 minutes. While stirring, slowly pour in the beaten egg.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding some extra rice vinegar, soy sauce or sesame oil. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with spring onions, cilantro, and chilies.
Hungry for more?
On this site you’ll find more vegetarian recipes for comforting soups, such as Vegetarian Curried Cauliflower Soup and Celery Root Soup with Apple and Walnuts.