Let’s enjoy some more rhubarb. Last Sunday, my two daughters organized an English Tea Party in the yard. They couldn’t have picked a better day: the weather was more than beautiful, blossoms were all around us, and yes, it was mother’s day. They prepared us strawberries with cream, sandwiches with watercress, and delicate chocolate rounds. Plus these little rhubarb crumble bars, based on a recipe of mine. In winter I like to make them with cranberries, but in spring I prefer rhubarb: very tasty too!
Dessert, Serves 8-10
Action time: 25 minutes, plus 45 minutes baking
3.5 oz/100 g oatmeal
9 oz/255 g all-purpose flour
7 oz/200 g sugar
6 oz/175 g cold unsalted butter, cubed
14 oz/400 g rhubarb, into ½ inch/1,5 cm pieces
1 tbsp cornstarch
grated zest of 1 orange
1 oz/ 30 g sliced almonds
whipped cream, to serve
some fresh mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
Extra: greased square baking pan (approx. 9 x 9 inch/ 23 x 23 cm), parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven tot 400°F/ 200°C. In a bowl mix the oatmeal with the flour, 4.5 oz/125 g sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the butter and rub it between your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Put into the fridge while preparing the rhubarb.
2. In a bowl, mix the rhubarb with the rest of the sugar, the cornstarch, and orange zest.
3. Line the bottom of the baking pan with parchement paper. Pat a little more than half of the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Spoon the rhubarb mixture over the dough.
4. Mix the sliced almonds into the rest of the crumble dough. Scatter the crumble mixture over the rhubarb.
5. Bake the crumble in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until the topping is golden. If the top browns too quickly, cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Cut the cumble pie into nice little bars, and lift them out of the pan. Serve with whipped cream and, if using, garnish with some mint leaves.
Hein GroenMay 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm (9 years ago)
Ga ik als toetje maken! Vanavond eters. Doe er in plaats van room een bolletje zelfgemaakt gember/citroenijs op. Met wat citroenverbena blaadjes.
Tal MaesMay 18, 2014 at 2:39 am (9 years ago)
Lijkt me heerlijk in combinatie met dat gember-citroenijs! Mogen we het recept :)?
Tal & PetraMay 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm (9 years ago)
Ja leuk! De ijsmachine is ook in Berlijn van stof ontdaan en gaat binnenkort weer draaien…!